Re: directory structure (was Re: New development plans)

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 23:00:01 EDT

     --- F J Franklin <F.J.Franklin@sheffield.ac.uk>
    wrote: > > Doing the "code janitor" work to tidy
    things like
    > this up isn't most
    > > people's idea of a fun time, but I'd love to see
    > it happen. Are you
    > > volunteering or recruiting? :-)
    >
    > At the moment neither, but this is the time to
    > identify such changes.
    >
    > > >For example, the encoding manager sits in XAP
    > but, as other current
    > > >threads attest, encoding is a fundamental part of
    > AbiWord, and should
    > > >probably sit in UT...
    > >
    > > I think you may misunderstand the roles of UT and
    > XAP.
    > >
    > > UT = low-level utilities
    > > XAP = application services used by more than one
    > Abi* application
    >
    > I think I understood it. XAP always seems like
    > GUI-related stuff. What got
    > me thinking about the encoding manager was working
    > on the UTF8String class
    > where all I wanted to do was convert between UTF-8 &
    > UCS-2, and felt very
    > frustrated about the apparent need to use XAP
    > routines - in the end I

    Weren't you just using UT_Iconv?

    > dodged the issue, but if Abi is going to be
    > converting between UTF-* &
    > UCS-* internally then perhaps the encoding manager
    > ought to be integrated
    > with the string class. It's not clear to me why the
    > encoding manager is in
    > XAP anyway, though I'm sure there is (or was) a good
    > reason. At the moment
    > iconv stuff is scattered, in UT_iconv, UT_[w]ctomb
    > (ick) & XAP_Enc... and
    > isn't always treated very consistently, so perhaps a
    > rewrite is in order
    > anyway.

    I think the Encoding Manager was tightly involved with
    getting the locale from the native OS at some point
    but I'm not sure. I do think that much of the
    Encoding Manager should be moved out - specifically
    some of the stuff I added like the encoding sniffing.
    I'm pretty sure there will be a need for a UT_Encoding
    file and still an XAP_EncodingManager but I may be
    wrong. We definitely want it so we never need to
    call XAP_ from UT_ as you say.

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com