Re: FAQ for debian users: 'could not find dictionary'

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 02:10:18 EDT

     --- Patrick Lam <plam@plam.lcs.mit.edu> wrote: > On
    Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 04:10:28AM +0100, Andrew
    > Dunbar wrote:
    > > --- Patrick Lam <plam@plam.lcs.mit.edu> wrote: >
    > > Debian users often get an error 'Could not find
    > > > dictionary for
    > > > en-US'.
    > > >
    > > > The solution is to apt-get install aspell-en.
    > > >
    > > > How do we make this just work?
    > >
    > > Add a dependency to the .deb requiring aspell-en?
    >
    > I don't think that's correct, because not everyone
    > is en-US.

    Very good point! Do .debs have a system whereby any
    one of a given set of modules fill a requirement?
    Make the .deb depend on aspell-* and make all the
    aspell modules fill the requirement.

    I don't do packaging at all so this might be utter
    rubbish I'm speaking but it seems reasonable.

    Otherwise, multiple .debs - one for each language you
    expect to be in high use.

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com