Re: FAQ for debian users: 'could not find dictionary'

From: Joaquín Cuenca Abela (cuenca@pacaterie.u-psud.fr)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 16:55:48 EDT

    On Fri, 2002-04-26 at 08:10, Andrew Dunbar wrote:
    > --- Patrick Lam <plam@plam.lcs.mit.edu> wrote: > On
    > Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 04:10:28AM +0100, Andrew
    > > Dunbar wrote:
    > > > --- Patrick Lam <plam@plam.lcs.mit.edu> wrote: >
    > > > Debian users often get an error 'Could not find

    > > > Add a dependency to the .deb requiring aspell-en?
    > >
    > > I don't think that's correct, because not everyone
    > > is en-US.
    >
    > Very good point! Do .debs have a system whereby any
    > one of a given set of modules fill a requirement?
    > Make the .deb depend on aspell-* and make all the
    > aspell modules fill the requirement.

    The last time that I used debian was something as 3 years ago, but I
    remember that you can add a dependency on a "virtual" package, and let
    several packages implement this virtual package.

    So the debian package of abiword can have a dependency on
    "aspell-dictionary", and make "aspell-{en,es,ca,fr,...}" implement this
    dependency.

    If my memory serves me right, you can even make this dependency only a
    suggestion.

    Cheers,

    --
    Joaquín Cuenca Abela