Re: further notes on using Pango

From: Anthony Fok (anthony@thizlinux.com)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 21:38:17 EDT

    On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 04:41:39AM +0100, Andrew Dunbar wrote:
    > We also need to use "native font names" when
    > available.
    > CJK fonts often have CJK names as well as Roman names.
    > Note that we want to show the Japanese names of
    > Japanese fonts only when the locale is Japanese *and*
    > the font has a Japanese name.

    This is a good idea. By the way, OpenOffice.org already does something like
    this. Do note, however, that there must be some way to store the fontname
    in the document (store them both?), or at least AbiWord should be smart
    enough to recognize either the CJK name and English name so the document
    would be displayed with the correct font. OOo tends to have a problem when
    the same document is opened on different machines running different
    locales with characters disappearing for this reason.

    One kludge around it in OOo is to create font aliases so that both the CJK
    name and English name appear in the fontlist. But yes, it is a kludge. :-/

    Another thing to note is that some TrueType CJK fonts are arguably "broken":
    they only have the CJK name; the English name field is null.

    Cheers,

    Anthony

    --
    Anthony Fok Tung-Ling