Re: further notes on using Pango

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 22:27:19 EDT

     --- Anthony Fok <anthony@thizlinux.com> wrote: > On
    Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 04:41:39AM +0100, Andrew
    > Dunbar wrote:
    > > We also need to use "native font names" when
    > > available.
    > > CJK fonts often have CJK names as well as Roman
    > names.
    > > Note that we want to show the Japanese names of
    > > Japanese fonts only when the locale is Japanese
    > *and*
    > > the font has a Japanese name.
    >
    > This is a good idea. By the way, OpenOffice.org
    > already does something like
    > this. Do note, however, that there must be some way
    > to store the fontname
    > in the document (store them both?), or at least
    > AbiWord should be smart
    > enough to recognize either the CJK name and English
    > name so the document
    > would be displayed with the correct font. OOo tends
    > to have a problem when
    > the same document is opened on different machines
    > running different
    > locales with characters disappearing for this
    > reason.
    >
    > One kludge around it in OOo is to create font
    > aliases so that both the CJK
    > name and English name appear in the fontlist. But
    > yes, it is a kludge. :-/
    >
    > Another thing to note is that some TrueType CJK
    > fonts are arguably "broken":
    > they only have the CJK name; the English name field
    > is null.

    Oh in this case I would recommend using the English
    name in the .abw xml except for fonts that only have
    a CJK name. With this knowlege we have to make sure
    this field is properly UTF-8 so it can actually take
    English and CJK characters. We should really test
    with MSWord by creating docs with English/CJK and
    CJK-only fonts, saving them in various formats: .doc,
    .rtf, .html, and seeing what font names go into the
    documents. We certainly have to load anything Word
    spits out.

    Thanks for the info!

    Andrew Dunbar.

    http://www.olvc.ab.ca/