Re: vedapad - devanagari support in abiword

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 22:07:16 EDT

     --- arvind kidambi <arvind_kidambi@hotmail.com>
    wrote: > Hi Mr Andrew Dunbar,

    Hi and thanks for the details.

    > Sorry I did not expalin correctly about my work in
    > the previous mail.
    > Yes Windows provides support for typing devanagari
    > script.But that is
    > not enough to be able to type devanagri text.
    > For example if i type "chru" it is one character in
    > devanagri.
    > For instance the ligature for "chru" in font Vedic97
    > is character 189.
    > Typing a "c" which will display the devanagari
    > character for c,
    > then an "h" which will erase the c and display
    > devanagari "ch", then
    > an "r" which will tuck a devaganari r under the ch
    > and finally the u
    > which will replace everything with character
    > 189.Such facility is

    Actually I thought that was what Windows 2000 did.
    I did play with it and I had a book on Devanagari
    with me at the time but I'm obviously not a native
    user the script. So what does Windows show for you
    at each keypress if not the evolving ligature?

    > required for typing devanagari script.Windows does
    > not have this
    > facility.What windows has is just raw typing of
    > devanagari characters.

    Are you saying that the forms of the characters do not
    change as you type the characters? Because they did
    for me using Windows 2000 with the Indic support and
    fonts. Older versions of Windows didn't have this
    and many Devanagari fonts available use weird
    propreitry formats that are not compatible with
    Unicode and Uniscribe. What versions of Windows do
    you refer to?

    > The program on which My prof Dr Bunker and I are
    > working is called
    > "vedapad" and it is to provide extended support for
    > typing devanagari
    > and other indian scripts.The fonts i am using have
    > been developed here
    > at my university (Maharishi University of
    > Management, Fairfield

    Are they Unicode fonts? If not, which encoding do
    they use?

    > , IOWA,USA).Yes I had to do a code patch.I had to go
    > in and
    > modify ev_win32keyboard.cpp.First we tried this
    > facility with
    > Wordpad and lot of devanagari script was typed using
    > it
    > and it proved to be very useful.Please find the
    > screen
    > shot attached.Thank you for your interest.

    It is very interesting. AbiWord really needs some
    developers who know Indian languages. We're about
    to do a major redesign with internationalization as
    one of our primary goals. If you are interested in
    working on AbiWord please feel free.

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com