Re: further notes on using Pango

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Apr 28 2002 - 09:47:14 EDT

     --- Anthony Fok <anthony@thizlinux.com> wrote: > On
    Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 03:27:19AM +0100, Andrew
    > Dunbar wrote:
    > > Oh in this case I would recommend using the
    > English name in the .abw
    > > xml except for fonts that only have a CJK name.
    > With this knowlege
    > > we have to make sure this field is properly UTF-8
    > so it can actually
    > > take English and CJK characters. We should really
    > test with MSWord
    > > by creating docs with English/CJK and CJK-only
    > fonts, saving them in
    > > various formats: .doc,
    > > .rtf, .html, and seeing what font names go into
    > the
    > > documents. We certainly have to load anything
    > Word
    > > spits out.
    >
    > That would be nice. MS Word sometimes spits out
    > Chinese fontname,

    In that case we should accept either for fonts that
    have both but maybe we should have a policy about
    which we put into documents we export. Do you know
    if we correctly import docs with CJK font names now?
    If we don't can you file bugs please?

    > sometimes English fontnames, and sometimes it is
    > implied: It would say
    > the entire document uses "Times News Roman", but
    > Word could still
    > display the Chinese characters because it uses
    > "MingLiU" or other CJK
    > fonts as fallback.

    Yes this is something we don't currently support but
    I think we need to. The best way is to have somewhere
    default font settings for each script (not each
    language): roman (or western), greek, cyrillic,
    traditional chinese, simplified chinese, arabic,
    hebrew, thai, etc. Well there probably is a case for
    doing it on a per-language basis but that would make
    for a lot more options to require setting ):

    > Yes, there are probably too many variations, so
    > AbiWord will have to be
    > smart; and we may have to maintain a small list of
    > fontname data in
    > AbiWord too. I don't know. :-)

    I hope not but if it's necessary it's probably
    possible.

    Andrew Dunbar.

    http://www.olvc.ab.ca/

    =====