Re: Pango: moving forward

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Apr 28 2002 - 22:33:54 EDT

     --- Martin Sevior
    <msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au> wrote: >

    > On Sat, 27 Apr 2002, Tomas Frydrych wrote:
    >

    > > Having considered the various issues raised in the
    > discussion over
    > > the past few days, I would like to start pretty
    > much immediately
    > > working on integrating Pango into the bidi layout
    > engine. Over the
    > > next 3 month I should have a reasonable amount of
    > time to do this,
    > > and I expect that by the end of July I should be
    > able to get the Unix
    > > build working with Pango. After that the time I
    > will be able to
    > > dedicate to AW will be very limited, but by then
    > most of the
    > > platform-specific work should do with making the
    > Pango library
    > > available on the individual platforms.
    > >
    > > Just to outline how I envisage it: most of the
    > code will be XP, and
    > > mostly limited to the drawing routines in
    > fp_TextRun and to
    > > gr_Graphics classs. Everything to do with Pango
    > will be inside
    > > #ifdef WITH_PANGO blocks, and will only affect the
    > bidi build (so
    > > interference with Martin's work on the layout
    > classes should be
    > > fairly minimal).
    > >

    > This sounds very promising Tomas. Is Andrew onboard
    > with this too?

    I think we have pretty much the same ideas so yes but
    of course I'm still looking for a job and have no
    computer in the meantime. I've been thinking of
    moving
    back to my Dad's where I will be able to hack AbiWord
    full-time while unemployed but I haven't decided if
    that's my best career path yet (:

    > Another issue that we must also clean up in tandem
    > is our *Unix* font
    > code with the UnixFontManager class sitting between
    > gdkFonts and psFonts.
    >
    > Can we jump straight to using pangofonts everywhere?
    > Is there someone
    > willing to work on this code?
    >
    > Havoc's posts on fontconfig are very convincing. I
    > think we should
    > definately leverage this work so installing new
    > fonts for abiword is as
    > easy as windows.

    It still seems to me from what I've been reading that
    if we go fully Pango at this point that we won't have
    printing. Given that I think the bidi/pango build is
    going to be a development only branch for some time
    that allows both AbiWord and Pango to evolve.
    This worries me because it means extremely few people
    will be testing it ):

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com