Re: Re: Pango: moving forward

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Apr 29 2002 - 02:40:16 EDT

     --- Christian Biesinger <cbiesinger@web.de> wrote: >
    Andrew Dunbar <hippietrail@yahoo.com> schrieb am
    > 29.04.02:
    > > [...] I want to move the Windows build to a
    > > Unicode build so we can pass UCS-2 strings.
    >
    > Wouldn't that make Abiword incompatible with Windows
    > 9x and ME since they hardly support any Unicode
    > functions?

    Not really. It will make it mostly incompatible with
    95 but 98 up should have everything we need. We will
    have to test it though to make sure. I propose both
    a Unicode build and an ANSI build but shifting the
    focus to the Unicode build.

    We already have some of these issues anyway since we
    currently handle Unicode (or dual) input and display
    on our non-Unicode build, but this can only go so far.

    The alternatives are:
    a) No support for multilingual text in the GUI!
    b) Making a dual ANSI/Unicode app like MSWord and MSIE
       but anybody who has ever investigated this will
       know we absolutely don't have the manpower ):

    I think multilanguage support is more important than
    Windows 95 support.

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com