RFP: design document

From: Dom Lachowicz (doml@appligent.com)
Date: Mon Apr 29 2002 - 10:43:52 EDT

    I've been away from the list because of a weekend trip to Boston and I
    have a ton of abiword-dev emails. About 150 of those deal with Pango,
    internationlization, localization, and related topics specifically. This
    makes about 400 in the past 2 weeks on these related core topics.

    Now, I don't claim to understand the problem set quite as well as some
    others (namely Tomas and Andrew) but I'm no dummy either. However, this
    is a *ton* of information to process, and will be even more of a burden
    to less experienced developers and those who join the team at some later
    date in the midst of this re-architecting. Some things have been
    resolved and have a proposed course of action. Other things, I'm
    guessing, do not.

    What I'm looking for is for as many "design" type documents as possible.
    I'd like to know what has been accepted, what problems have been
    resolved, what problems still remain. I'd like to see some sort of
    document explaining how everything fits in together, and what some of
    the components or interfaces might be. Internationalization and
    localization are big issues. When broken up into much smaller pieces,
    this becomes much easier to understand and tackle.

    Doing this would help me immensely - I really hate being out of the
    loop. I imagine that this would also help others out too.

    Just a thought.

    I appreciate the help,
    Dom