Re: RFP: externalize *all* locale-specific information

From: Christian Biesinger (cbiesinger@web.de)
Date: Mon Apr 29 2002 - 17:46:20 EDT

    On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 02:36:37PM -0700, Paul Rohr wrote:
    > Ideally, we'd ship a hardwired en-US (yes, I'm a chauvinist, sorry) binary
    > which could be easily packaged up with a collection of zero or more
    > locale-specific resources.
    [...]
    > To be clear. AFAICT switching to gettext does nothing to advance this goal.
    > It merely switches the mechanism we use for the strings we've managed to
    > externalize so far.

    No, gettext can be used _exactly_ for that.
    1) With gettext, the en-US translation is always built in (well, needs not
    be en-US, but usually is)
    2) on startup of a gettextized app, gettext is initialized with the
    language from an environment variable (note that I don't know how this is
    done on windows - ie. maybe another approach is used there for apps like
    the gimp). If a translation is available (this is determined by checking
    if the .mo file (compiled .po) exists in the correct directory), it is
    used, else english is used.

    So this is exactly what you want - or?

                                                     -- Benjamin Franklin