Re: RFP: use gnu gettext

From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Mon Apr 29 2002 - 17:47:26 EDT

    At 10:33 AM 4/29/02 -0400, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
    >I've worked out a plan that lets us keep our existing c++ interface in
    >place (StringSets and integer string-ids). This will also keep us from
    >having to use the translation macros in more than one place.

    Cool. That sounds like a perfect way to handle it. I'm looking forward to
    seeing how you'll do the refactoring. Specific questions include:

      - Will you be able to preserve the current XAP vs AP distinction?
      - Does the PO file keep track of its encoding?
      - Can the PO file keep track of string IDs for you?
      - Where do we specify the "inherit semantics" (en-US vs. en-GB, etc.)?

    (Essentially that's all the strings file does now anyways.) If you can
    preserve all that behavior, then the wrapper class implementation should be
    quite simple, indeed.

    >I think that this is a good compromise. It won't affect developers at
    >all really, and could greatly benefit translators and our acceptance in
    >the international community.
    >
    >I'm willing to do this work after the branch.

    Excellent. Every time I've thought about adding gettext to CVS and getting
    it working smoothly on non-Unix platforms with libiconv, I've come up with
    more fun ways to spend my time. ;-)

    I'm thrilled that you're stepping up to the plate to do so.

    Paul