RFP: use gnu gettext

From: Dom Lachowicz (doml@appligent.com)
Date: Mon Apr 29 2002 - 10:33:57 EDT

    I propose that we ditch our strings approach and instead switch to GNU
    gettext.

    Benefits:
    *) Easier for translators to do
    *) Because of ^^^, we will get more translations, esp. from the GNOME
    translation teams
    *) Stops re-duplication of strings

    I've worked out a plan that lets us keep our existing c++ interface in
    place (StringSets and integer string-ids). This will also keep us from
    having to use the translation macros in more than one place. For
    example, you don't want to have the following code:

    Win32:
    control->setText(_("OK"));

    GTK:
    control->setText(_("OK"));

    Too many strings will get duplicated and possibly get out of sync
    between the platforms. Maybe someone will screw up and use "Ok" instead
    of "OK", etc...

    So we can still have a function that returns a string in some encoding
    for a given integer id to cut down on these specific problems.

    I think that this is a good compromise. It won't affect developers at
    all really, and could greatly benefit translators and our acceptance in
    the international community.

    I'm willing to do this work after the branch.

    Dom