Re: RFP: use gnu gettext

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 03:02:13 EDT

     --- Christian Biesinger <cbiesinger@web.de> wrote: >
    On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 04:35:51AM +0100, Andrew
    > Dunbar wrote:
    > > --- Karl Ove Hufthammer <huftis@bigfoot.com>
    > wrote: >
    > > Dom Lachowicz <doml@appligent.com> wrote in
    > > > Some strings probably *need* to be duplicated.
    > I'm
    > > > thinking of
    > > > strings which are identical in English, but not
    > in
    > > > the target
    > > > language. [...]
    > > I was always suspicious that gettext did this. Is
    > > there a way around it?
    >
    > Well... you can use "Forward1" or whatever as the
    > english string and
    > provide an english .po file as well... but that's a
    > bit of a hack.

    This is hideous. I can't support gettext in AbiWord
    if this is the best solution.

    > > Also we need to fix the
    > > problem where multiple %s need to be in a
    > different
    > > order between English and the localized language.
    > > Will gettext help with this?
    >
    > Sure. (Though this might actually be a feature of
    > printf).
    > Just use "foo %2$s bar %1$s" as the msgstr.

    I seem to recall a discussion here a while ago that
    this doesn't work now. Maybe it's a feature of
    gettext that is a plus over what we have now - anybody
    remember better what the current situation is?

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com