Re: Next Generation Layout document.

From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 10:41:53 EDT

    On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Tomas Frydrych wrote:

    > (1) Where in the PT will the text of these notes be stored? Are we
    > going to have it embeded within the main text after the footnote
    > marker (I think that's what rtf does), or, are we going to have it in a
    > separate section, say, at the end? I think I would go with the
    > former, and seems to me that is what you are proposing, right?

    In the main run of frags like regular text. We'll have to write
    special case code in fv_View for these notes.

    > (2) With regard to the container classes, I wonder whether it might
    > not be worth to have a base container class for the notes, from
    > which to derive the footnote/endnote containers; it might make it
    > easier to add other note containers later on, say margin notes.

    It's not clear that they have sufficient commonality that such a
    base-class would do anything useful. Other than general principles do you
    have an idea for which methods they should share?

    > (3) I would like the notes designed in a way that would allow to
    > have several independent sets of footnotes running through a single
    > document (say, one using roman numerals and one arabic ones).
    > This is one thing that Word cannot do, and I could make much use
    > of. It should not be too hard, just each note fragment needs to
    > carry an ID of the set it belongs to.

    That should be no problem. We can resuse a lot of the fl_AutoNum
    stuff to handle and particular intermingling of number types.

    Cheers

    Martin