dumb printing question (was Re: resolution and zoom issues)

From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 16:16:45 EDT

    At 04:02 PM 4/30/02 -0400, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
    >At 8:44 PM +0100 4/30/02, Tomas Frydrych wrote:
    >>Yes, we will need to patch Pango. There are two ways we can
    >>approach zooming. If we tell FT to produce the glyphs at the same
    >>point size but at twice the resolution than the screen has, we will
    >>get a bitmap that corresponds to 200% zoom.
    >
    > Yes, but you will get metrics that aren't necessary scaled
    >appropriately - and you'll continue to get the same problems that you
    >are experiencing today.
    >
    >> Patching Pango to
    >>allow us to change the resolution is very simple and we will have to
    >>do it anyway to be able to generate PostScript.
    >
    > Shouldn't have anything to do with PS...

    I hope that this is a dumb question, based on a misinterpretation...

    Uh, is anyone thinking that AbiWord's printed output is going to consist of
    a bunch of bitmaps of rendered glyphs that we download to the printer?

    Is that *ever* a good idea? When? Why?

    Wherever possible, don't we want to tell the printer to use fonts to render
    specific codepoints? Even if that means precisely positioning the various
    combining characters to form a more complex glyph?

    Paul,
    still a fan of SetFont(...) and DrawText(x,y,....)