Re: dumb printing question (was Re: resolution and zoom issues)

From: Leonard Rosenthol (leonardr@lazerware.com)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 16:30:44 EDT

    At 1:16 PM -0700 4/30/02, Paul Rohr wrote:
    >Uh, is anyone thinking that AbiWord's printed output is going to consist of
    >a bunch of bitmaps of rendered glyphs that we download to the printer?

            No, I don't believe that anyone is thinking about that. We
    know that we need to get the font metric (and other data) from the
    fonts themselves (though via the FT API's instead of having to parse
    the formats ourselves!!!) and include that in the appropriate forms
    into the PS.

    >Is that *ever* a good idea? When? Why?

            It's never a good idea to use rasters - however, there are
    times where it is acceptable, though none that AW should have to deal
    with.

    >Wherever possible, don't we want to tell the printer to use fonts to render
    >specific codepoints?

            Yup!

    >Even if that means precisely positioning the various
    >combining characters to form a more complex glyph?

            Handling of composite glyphs in PS is interesting, and I
    don't know it would be handled - or if it's even a special case...

    Leonard

    Leonard Rosenthol                            <mailto:leonardr@lazerware.com>
                          			     <http://www.lazerware.com>