Re: feasible smart quote solution

From: Karl Ove Hufthammer (lister@huftis.org)
Date: Wed Aug 14 2002 - 13:56:40 EDT

    Tomas Frydrych <tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net> wrote in
    news:3D5AA059.26511.68BB86@localhost:

    > I had an idea about the smart quotes. The smartquote problem
    > is algorithmically identical to the shaping of Arabic glyphs.
    > Consequently the internal shaper (in HEAD) could be used to
    > shape quotes on the fly for the screen/printer without
    > changing the actual character in the document.

    This assumes that a smart quote algorithm will always be smart
    enough. It won't, not even for English. I believe there is an
    article on this at the Unicode Web site. It *must* be possible for
    the user to change the quotation mark used (perhaps to ", if a
    inch character is meant).

    Correct quote character *should* be saved in the document. On the
    fly conversion will *never* work adequately.

    > Further, with very little extra effort, the quote translation
    > could be locale- specific,

    It should be language specific, not locale specific.

    --
    Karl Ove Hufthammer