Re: shareware/freeware stuff

From: Jordi Mas (jmas@softcatala.org)
Date: Thu Aug 15 2002 - 13:22:18 EDT

    En/na Alan Horkan ha escrit:
    > i knew i should not have mentioned shareware.
    > there are some good freeware sites out there though.
    >
    > i still wonder what it would take to get abiword included with cygwin.
    > As far as i know abiword can be built with mingwin but not cygwin.
    >
    > I guess there are plenty of better things we could be doing.
    >
    > Hope you noticed attempts to use POWs more. Any alternative suggestions
    > on how to harness the users?

    Alan,

    I have to agree with Paul. You guys have done such an excelent job until
    now and I'm sure we will keep doing it. But, IMHO the Windows version is far
    from being a quality end-user product that an average Windows user will expect.

    As you know Alan, minor languages such as Catalan or Irish do not have word
    processing software localised, mainly because Microsoft do not see revenue for
    them there. At Softcatalà, a nonprofit organisation, we have been giving away
    Abiword 1.02 in Catalan (spellchecker included) to end-users. It has become
    quite popular but lots of problems have arrised for end-users and I have seen
    that the product is not ready for a mass distribution. Just to mention
    a few in Abiword 1.02:

    - Printing. It included not working properly in some configurations, you have
    no possibility of printing two pages of the document in a single paper page,
    etc.
    - Abiword's Keyword handing (the menus sometime disapear, alt+xxx does not
    work, etc). I
    - If you can cut and paste text from the same document you lose the language
    of the paragraph and other settings of your paragraph, no cut and paste of
    graphics, no drag and drop, etc.
    - Lots of UI bugs (you end up having red marks where they not should be if you
    use spell checking, the links do not work very well, etc)

    Well, I want that we are aware that the product is not really end-user
    ready under the win32.

    As I said before, you guys have done such an excelent job until now, but a
    word processor is a large piece of software. There is still lots of bug fixing
      to do.

    Here my five cents.

    Thanks,

    --