Re: Installation directory confusion

From: Hubert Figuiere (hfiguiere@teaser.fr)
Date: Tue Aug 20 2002 - 02:54:51 EDT

    On lun, 2002-08-19 at 23:18, j.m.maurer wrote:
    > Hi all!
    >
    > This one is bugging me for a while now: diving make installs AbiWord in
    > /usr/share, while the auto* build installs AbiWord in /usr/local/share.

    This is a bug.

    > Could both build systems install in the same directory or is there some
    > deeper meaning of it that I can't seem to get?

    They should.

    > if not, I would vote for using /usr/share, but only due to the fact that
    > RH uses that path....

    NO. Thou shalt no install something in /usr that don't belong to the
    system. /usr/local (or /opt) is prefered. Note that by "belong to the
    system", it also mean "part of the distribution".
    In short, make install should install by default in /usr/local, and
    onlyt packages designed for the distribution should install in /usr

    Hub

    --
    Job-less AbiWord hacker. - http://www.teaser.fr/~hfiguiere/
    Cell phone: +33 6 18 01 42 11