Fwd: Re: Can Yudit (or AbiWord) display Russian(Cyrillic)?

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Aug 20 2002 - 05:00:15 EDT

    I'm not quite sure how this just arrived in my Inbox
    but it seems users are still having horrible problems
    trying to get non-English fonts working. Are the
    current HOWTOs and FAQs failing? This guy is going
    to buy Windows because he can't get it to work!

    Andrew.

     Note: forwarded message attached.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/translator.pl http://www.abisource.com

    http://uk.my.yahoo.com

    attached mail follows:

    > Hi Russ,
    > When yudit-2.6.2 comes up it has a few buttons on the top.
    > When you move the mouse you can see some hints.
    > The attached gif file shows how to select the input map
    > and assign it to F6 key (see numbered steps). With the Misc font you
    > should be able to
    > access Markus's font, that normally comes with latest
    > Linux distros.
    >
    > In case you have an old distro, here is the source:
    > http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs-fonts.html
    > You need the 'The "-misc-fixed-*" font package'

    Neither AbiWord (in its documentation) or this resource below (for
    Yudit) tells me "How to Do It."
    (i.e facilitate Cyrillic support in respectively AbiWord or Yudit under
    Linux). So far I've wasted 60 man-hours trying to accomplish what
    Windows can do in 45 seconds. I've been Linuxing for six years, but I
    concede defeat and I'm going to buy and install Windows. You guys and
    your "powerful" software can go jump in a lake. The world doesn't need
    this sort of entropy.

    Thanks for nothing.

    A pathetic endluser,

    Russ McGinnis