Re: Fwd: Re: Can Yudit (or AbiWord) display Russian(Cyrillic)?

From: Alan Horkan (horkana@tcd.ie)
Date: Tue Aug 20 2002 - 08:19:03 EDT

    I hear abiword runs nicely on wine. I did not relish the prospect of
    trying to figure out the docs either.
    Precompiled binaries that are shipped and configured by your distribitor
    make life a hell of a lot easier.

    most of the font handling nastiness is apparently gone from the CVS builds
    but it has new features like tables and endnotes and it is harder to
    compile and may crash.

    Hopefully one of our cyrillic users/developers will help out.
    Calm down and be patient, we understand how frustrating these kinds of
    problems can be. if you dont get a response from anyone on the
    abiword-dev list you might consider asking on the abiword-user list.
    If you dont want to subscribe the mail archives are here and they are
    updated automatically so you can see what is happening on the list
    http://abisource.com/mailinglists/

    Please be patient, dont let the rough edges of Open Source get you down.
    If you are using Open Source software in your business maybe you should
    consider getting paid support from Ximian, IBM or Redhat it seems like a
    far better way to spend your $$$ than forking out of Microsoft.

    Entropy? If the alternative is nothing the bland homogeneity of "one
    microsoft way" and not having any control of the software i use or how i
    use it ill take entropy. In the meantime i will keep encouraging open
    source projects to cooperate and avoid unnecessary duplication and we can
    all concentrate on finding our own niche (only yesterday a KWord developer
    provided very useful fixes to Abiwords word perfect support).

    Anyway i hope you find the answers you want. A detailed description of
    your setup and where you think the problem is might help us to help you.

    Sincerely
    Alan Horkan

    On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, [iso-8859-1] Andrew Dunbar wrote:

    > Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 10:00:15 +0100 (BST)
    > From: "[iso-8859-1] Andrew Dunbar" <hippietrail@yahoo.com>
    > To: AbiWord <abiword-dev@abisource.com>
    > Subject: Fwd: Re: Can Yudit (or AbiWord) display Russian(Cyrillic)?
    >
    > I'm not quite sure how this just arrived in my Inbox
    > but it seems users are still having horrible problems
    > trying to get non-English fonts working. Are the
    > current HOWTOs and FAQs failing? This guy is going
    > to buy Windows because he can't get it to work!

    Neither AbiWord (in its documentation) or this resource below (for
    Yudit) tells me "How to Do It."
    (i.e facilitate Cyrillic support in respectively AbiWord or Yudit under
    Linux). So far I've wasted 60 man-hours trying to accomplish what
    Windows can do in 45 seconds. I've been Linuxing for six years, but I
    concede defeat and I'm going to buy and install Windows. You guys and
    your "powerful" software can go jump in a lake. The world doesn't need
    this sort of entropy.

    Thanks for nothing.

    A pathetic endluser,

    Russ McGinnis