Re: print preview screenshot

From: Dom Lachowicz (doml@appligent.com)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 23:07:29 EDT

    > I'm not sure about Word but I've seen other programs
    > do it. I think maybe Mozilla and/or MSIE.
    > But I'm a bit hesitant to do it this way because it's
    > so intensive - you have to load and render up every
    > font in the system. That makes lots of processor and
    > disk work. But I'm not against it either really...

    Jody Goldberg of Gnumeric fame and I are wholly against this
    misfeature. Solutions along the lines of what Marc just did are vastly
    superior from both a usability standpoint and a resource standpoint.
    IIRC, we agreed that it would be useful to display the *currently used
    font's name* displayed using that font face. This would be a useful
    visual cue and should go into the UI.

    Having each font's name displayed in that respective font in the
    dropdown list is an abuse of processor resources and not necessarily
    helpful to the user, or at least could be done better via an alternate
    means like Marc did.

    Dom