Re: Fwd: Re: AbiWord Font Usability question

From: Joaquin Cuenca Abela (e98cuenc@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Aug 28 2002 - 11:06:17 EDT

    --- Alan Horkan <horkana@tcd.ie> wrote:

    > On Wed, 28 Aug 2002, Hubert Figuiere wrote:
    >
    > > Instead I propose to only include 5-8 MRU items in
    > the font pulldown
    > > menu (organized alphabetically, to organize by
    > recency of use will
    > > probably only serve to confuse), then a seperator
    > then "Other Fonts..."
    >
    > probably?
    > anything to back this up?

    Yes. It's a known fact (at least by computer
    interface guys) that MRU usually causes more harm than
    good.

    The problem is that if the menu items (or combo box
    items, etc) are not fixed, the user has no
    oportunities at all to *remember* where this or that
    item was.

    For instance, in recent versions of word, the menus
    only show the most used items. More than half the
    time when the menu popups I spend ~2 seconds just to
    scan the list of items (one after one) just to see if
    my item is already there.

    When I discover that it's not there, I expand the menu
    and then I rescan the whole list (usually faster,
    because when the menu has its full size I know more or
    less where is the item than I'm looking for)

    To be honest, now I've developped a kind of "open
    menu" = "click on menu item, go down to the little
    arrow and expand the menu", which makes things go
    faster but it's still 2-3 times slower than the old
    approach.

    That "feature" is just an idea to solve a real problem
    (menus/combos contains too much items), but that
    unfortunately doesn't work.

    I like much more the Seth idea for the font list.
    Maybe the list of "main" fonts should be
    parametrizable by the user, but don't let the computer
    change it all the time.

    > Most recently used makes sense to be ordered by most
    > recently used.
    > how about a comparison to what Word does? If Word
    > orders MRU by MRU
    > which i think it does then taking a differnt
    > approach really requires
    > some backup.

    That approach was probed to be wrong long before MS
    implemented it. Everybody is still wondering why they
    did it... (it works well for me when the menu is
    stable enough, for instance for the "Start->Programs"
    menu, but don't extrapolate it to applications menus).

    Cheers,

    =====
    Joaquin Cuenca Abela
    e98cuenc@yahoo.com