Re: My movements.

From: Martin Sevior (msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Fri Dec 06 2002 - 08:54:10 EST

    On Fri, 6 Dec 2002 jeremyd@ctc.net wrote:

    > > From: Martin Sevior <msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au>
    > > Date: 2002/12/06 Fri AM 05:39:20 EST
    > > To: Dom Lachowicz <domlachowicz@yahoo.com>,
    > > Hubert Figuiere <hfiguiere@teaser.fr>, <abiword-dev@abisource.com>
    > > Subject: My movements.
    > > Move abicommand out of the plugins into the main build.
    >
    > Just curious, what does moving it to the main build give
    > you? Also (while except for use of readline would be
    > fairly easy) will this be ported to all platforms? or
    > only added to the Unix build?

    It will only be added to the unix build. Other platforms will need to
    work out a way to generate fonts and font metrics without accessing the
    GUI. I'm doing this to enable abiword to be used as a server via
    either a bonobo or stdio interface. In particular I want to add a
    "sniff" feature where abiword word imports a line or two of text and
    then outputs it as UTF-8 string.

    The idea is to feed this to Nautilus so that one can view the first line
    or two of their docs in the icon displaying their docs. This way a user
    can tell at a glance what each document is without having to open it.
    Nautilus has this feature already for text files - I want to extend it to
    all the files abiword can read (a LOT!)

    I personally would find this very useful.

    Cheers

    Martin