Re: My movements.

From: Alan Horkan (horkana@tcd.ie)
Date: Fri Dec 06 2002 - 18:23:06 EST

    > The idea is to feed this to Nautilus so that one can view the first line
    > or two of their docs in the icon displaying their docs. This way a user
    > can tell at a glance what each document is without having to open it.
    > Nautilus has this feature already for text files - I want to extend it to
    > all the files abiword can read (a LOT!)

    I think this is one of the most remarkably useless features in Nautilus.

    While a preview of the first 5 lines of file might be useful, a preview of
    so little text in an so small as space as an icon is useless and i find it
    rarely provides me with any actually useful information. On the other
    hand getting nautilus to display the Document Title or some other document
    description/metadata might actually be useful. (or maybe put this
    information into a tooltip on mouseover, or maybe make it a tab in the
    file properties dialog, ... i dunno)

    A preview in the side pane rather than in the icon would be a feature i
    would actually find useful.

    Or possibly abiword could include a preview graphic of the first/title
    page of the document. It is a nice feature to be able to say you can do
    it, i just dont beleive it is a genuinely useful feature.

    > I personally would find this very useful.

    Im guessing you have a really huge monitor and so the text previews in
    Nautilus are not as useless on your machine.
    I would be interested to know how you find this feature usable.

    Sincerely
    Alan H.