Re: A new draw on XP refactoring

Subject: Re: A new draw on XP refactoring
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 07:55:49 CST

Hi Frank,
        I think this is a great idea. I really need presentation graphics
and we have already done a lot of the work with abiword to create stuff.

Using SVG for animations is a great solution.

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, F J Franklin wrote:

> More thoughts for post-1.0:
>
> As I mentioned on IRC yesterday, I'd like to start work on "AbiDraw" (?)
> while I work on SVG rendering.

SourceGear owns the trademark to "AbiShow" I don't know quite this means
in the long run.

> Since we'll be re-arranging the code, this will be the best time to
> distinguish AbiSuite code from AbiWord code, a line long blurred...
> (or should that be "anti-aliased"?)

As Hub says all the code in src/af/* is meant to be available to all
applications. You also have full use of the code in src/text/*. The code
within src/wp* is meant to be just for a word processor. However I think
that a lot of that code would be useful for presentation graphics too.

In principle you could just cut and paste src/hello/* to get started on
another application.

> Also, I know little about GUI stuff, so if anyone feels like whipping up
> an interface, that would make my life a lot easier :-)

I've got to know powerpoint pretty well. It is pretty easy to use so as a
starting point you could just copy how powerpoint down things.

At a minimum though you need to implement floating frames. This is
actually a lot easier in preentation graphics than a word processor and
there is no need to flow text into and out of these things. Each floating
frame is self contained.

One way to do this would be to have a different piecetable per frame
and make each slide a vector of frames.

Cheers

Martin