Re: svg vs. draw (was: Re: A new draw on XP refactoring)

Subject: Re: svg vs. draw (was: Re: A new draw on XP refactoring)
From: F J Franklin (F.J.Franklin@sheffield.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 13:46:48 CST

> This begs for my usual comment: separate display (view) and editing
> (controller) functionality. If I wanted to write an SVG viewer, that app
> shouldn't have to drag around editing code.

Illustrator adds in lots of extra stuff using namespaces, and
sometimes shoves lots of Illustrator editing data in CDATA sections...

But valid SVG is valid SVG. A conforming viewer just ignores all the extra
stuff. AbiWord, AbiDraw and AbiShow would share some common code, but
AbiShow will have to be far more sophisticated than the others!

Frank

Francis James Franklin
F.J.Franklin@shef.ac.uk

It's getting them wrong that is living, getting them wrong and wrong and
wrong and then, on careful reconsideration, getting them wrong again.
That's how we know we're alive: we're wrong.
                                                         --- Philip Roth