Re: trivial patch for bz2abw plugin

Subject: Re: trivial patch for bz2abw plugin
From: Alan Horkan (horkana@tcd.ie)
Date: Sat Feb 02 2002 - 18:50:44 CST

On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Mike Nordell wrote:

> Alan Horkan wrote:
> >
> > sorry to nitpick but maybe a three letter extension might be better?
>
> Maybe not? We don't have to be compatible with MS-DOS (and derivates - such
> as Windows 3.x) since AbiWord requires at least a 32-bit platform (anyone

I realise you dont NEED to have 8.3 filenames, but im trying to say play
it safe and use 8.3 unless there is a good reason to do otherwise.

It may be more descriptive to use a longer file extension, but the option
of .abw.bz2 is still available.

We could have the extension .abiword but we dont.
You never know someone might actually try porting Abiword to 16bit (and
maybe the rest of Abi Office Suite la la la)

but seriously
Are there downsides to using a 3 letter suffix in this case?

> > Its probably not inherently any better but i still
> > try and keep to 8.3 filenames out of habit.
>
> If you still have to support Win16 or Novell 3.11 I can understand your
> standpoint, but I don't think it's fit for the general public nowadays. Even

play it safe,
if you want i could try and find out the necessary window registry
settings to hide the extension from "the general public".

> That's what I'd assume it to be if it was a bzip2 compressed .abw file.
> Coming to think of it, I'd actually prefer .abw.gz over .zabw (the latter

agreed
i leave compression off by default i feel safer with text and have plenty
of diskspace.

Ive made my suggestion, im done for now

Sincerely
Alan