Re: Volenteers wanted for 0.99.2

Subject: Re: Volenteers wanted for 0.99.2
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 00:48:04 CST

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Dom Lachowicz wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-02-05 at 09:12, Tomas Frydrych wrote:
> > Martin,
> >
> > I do not think we are at all ready for 0.99.2 yet. There are too many
> > serious bugs to be still tackled, and the threaded loader introduced
> > new problems, that still need to be sorted out (someone still needs
> > to implement and debug the Windows code; I would look into it, but
> > will not have much for the rest of this week).
>
> I also agree with your assessment (we are not quite ready for 0.99.2
> yet). However, I point out that though the threaded loaded introduced
> new problems that need to be sorted out, the Windows code isn't a top
> priority of mine. Mike Pritchett is working on it now, though, and
> hopefully he might have something for us in the near future.

I was thinking of the middle of next week for 0.99.2. I'm sure Tomas is
right about the segfaults in the win build with the threaded loader. There
were/are lotys of assumptions in unix platform code that needed fixing.

However with a bit of work with a good debugger it's mostly a matter of
aborting calls if AV_View::getPoint() == 0 or
AV_View::isLayoutFilling() is true.

In any case I thought I should give people a bit or warning and see if we
can get 0.99.2 in a timely fashion once we do the branch.

> If this code is left unimplemented, the Windows version will work
> exactly the same as it has in the past, and while that may be
> less-than-ideal, it is at least no worse than the old behavior, which
> many have become accustomed to. This isn't to say that we should never
> finish this work on Windows, just that IMO we don't need to hold up a
> release because the Windows port works the same as the last one did.

I can live with this.

Cheers

Martin