Re: Loss of enthusiasim for AbiWord

Subject: Re: Loss of enthusiasim for AbiWord
From: Rui Miguel Seabra (rms@multicert.com)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 08:14:38 CST

On Fri, 2002-02-08 at 14:08, F J Franklin wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> > For well over a year a serious issue caused by AbiWord has been known.
> > The lack of interest in addressing this issue has just about deflated
> > my interest in AbiWord.
>
> Bryce, we're just as frustrated, because there is no easy solution. Simple
> hacks may alleviate some symptoms for some people, but what's really
> needed is a major rewrite, and that simply won't happen by 1.0. Sorry.
> It is, however, top priority post 1.0.

Simple solution for 1030:
 DROP THE FONTS

It is not the word processor's fault that some font is not on the
system.

DROP THE FONTS and gather an initial font substitution table.

Have I said DROP THE FONTS enough times?

The fonts are worse than those distributed on most gnu/linux, windows
and whatever else distributions, and worse than that, the current way we
do it screws with systems.

Dia has been rendered almost useless on my machines: it can't find it's
fonts. Problem number 1 is that they use a sort of an hash from pretty
name to internal name instead of a font chooser, but problem number 2 is
that because of Problem 1 AbiWord screws Dia's font selection.

I'm not completely sure that it isn't related to upgrading gnome-print
(which rebuilds some font tables at install time).

Hugs, rms

ps: DROP THE FONTS ;)

+ So let's do it...?