Re: Loss of enthusiasim for AbiWord

Subject: Re: Loss of enthusiasim for AbiWord
From: Dom Lachowicz (doml@appligent.com)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 08:30:52 CST

> Simple solution for 1030:
> DROP THE FONTS

RMS: This is not so simple of a solution. We need to be able to embed
the fonts in our PS output so that printing is WYSIWYG. Unless you'd
rather we open up bug 2706: "AbiWord is not WYSIWYG" and watch the votes
pile up faster for that bug faster than they do for 1030. So I'm sorry,
"DROP THE FONTS" is NOT an acceptable solution, at least not yet. I'm
growing tired of people offering half-baked, not-thought-through "fixes"
for bug 1030.

We've promised to fix this bug in a manner that we've deemed proper and
acceptable as soon as is humanly possible POST 1.0. Why can no one
understand this? I and the other developers do understand that many
people (developers included) consider this to be a large bug. Yet we're
committed to fixing this on our timeframe. Since this is a volunteer
project, you'll just have to live with this.

Marc: We have alleviated many of these symptoms for the users via a few
patches (ones from Bryce included), but yet some problems still persist.
I'm working now on something that will hopefully cure GNOME users from
bug 1030 as we speak. If you can think of some ingenious work-around to
fix even more symptoms, please code up something and I really promise
that it will be considered.

Bryce: Read the above paragraph. You're frustrated, we're frustrated,
we're all frustrated. Your complaining is just making us more
frustrated. We're all well aware of your stance on bug 1030 by now.

Users: if you're affected by this bug, please be patient. We are going
to address this bug in the near future.

Dom