Re: Loss of enthusiasim for AbiWord

Subject: Re: Loss of enthusiasim for AbiWord
From: Rui Miguel Seabra (rms@multicert.com)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 08:46:44 CST

On Fri, 2002-02-08 at 14:30, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
> > Simple solution for 1030:
> > DROP THE FONTS
>
> RMS: This is not so simple of a solution. We need to be able to embed
> the fonts in our PS output so that printing is WYSIWYG. Unless you'd
> rather we open up bug 2706: "AbiWord is not WYSIWYG" and watch the votes
> pile up faster for that bug faster than they do for 1030. So I'm sorry,
> "DROP THE FONTS" is NOT an acceptable solution, at least not yet. I'm
> growing tired of people offering half-baked, not-thought-through "fixes"
> for bug 1030.

I know it carries other problems.

I've never been in favour of releasing 1.0 in this time frame, instead
of the When It's Ready time frame.

I'd consider When It's Ready a time where, for the _planned_feature_
set, the number of bugs is in the vicinity of zero.
No matter what version number abiword is at (0.103.0 for instance).

> We've promised to fix this bug in a manner that we've deemed proper and
> acceptable as soon as is humanly possible POST 1.0. Why can no one
> understand this? I and the other developers do understand that many
> people (developers included) consider this to be a large bug. Yet we're
> committed to fixing this on our timeframe. Since this is a volunteer
> project, you'll just have to live with this.

This is precisely why we should never release 1.0 with all these
problems.

Peace, rms

+ So let's do it...?