[Daniel.Vogelheim@Sun.COM: Re: [sw-users] Description of the StarWrite 5 format]

Subject: [Daniel.Vogelheim@Sun.COM: Re: [sw-users] Description of the StarWrite 5 format]
From: Christian Biesinger (cbiesinger@web.de)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 09:56:39 CST

Hello,
today I got a mail that might be of interest to Abiword.
Here it is:

----- Forwarded message from Daniel Vogelheim <Daniel.Vogelheim@Sun.COM> -----
[...]
If you also want to import the SO/OOo 6.0 format, I would like to also
call your attention to the 'xfilter' tool. This would allow you to use
complete OOo filter binaries for AbiWord import, in case the respective
format isn't natively supported by AbiWord. Sort of a
buy-one-get-one-free approach to import filters. :-)

Provided with an XML-based filter component (of which there are
currently only StarOffice ones, but I'm sure OOo ones will follow), the
tool reads a file and prints the corresponding OOo XML to stdout. So
AbiWord could call this when loading a file, and then import the OOo XML
through the 'normal' SO/OOo 6.0 filter.

See http://xml.openoffice.org/xfilter.html for the xfilter tool, and
http://xml.openoffice.org/filter/ for XML-based filters.
----- End forwarded message -----

This tool might indeed make it possible to load files in formats not
natively supported by Abiword (provided we have an Openoffice importer
working...)

                                                 -- Benjamin Franklin