Re: commit: Look for suggestions in Custom Dictionary.

Subject: Re: commit: Look for suggestions in Custom Dictionary.
From: Ramón Flores (fa2ramon@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 10:00:18 CST

 --- Alan <horkana@tcd.ie> wrote: >

> Ramón Flores wrote:
> >
> > --- Alan Horkan <horkana@tcd.ie> wrote:
> >
> > > What happens if someone were to have a large
> custom
> > > dictionary, would it
> > > just be really slow?
> >
> > In that case the better option is to add a big
> number
> > of words to one (or more) dictionary, and compile
> > it using ispell, that is free software.
> > In any case you can disable the auto spell check.
>
> unitl recently i had no idea how to make dictionary
> hash files
> trying to get an ordinary user to 'compile' anything
> is totally out of
> the question, im a big fan of precompiled binaries
> myself.

How many ordinary users will have a huge custom
dictionary?. If one actually has a huge custom
dictionary, perhaps is time to learn how to manage it.
IMHO the more wonderful thing about free software is
that the user has:

"The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt
it to his/her needs."

> > If you use different languages it is better you
> > keep your custom.dic light.
>
> It would be,
> but ideally the program would put in some sort of
> safety check so that i
> cannot break it.
> Users will often do things you had not planned for
> or do not recommend,
> and I'm always trying to test Abiword so that i can
> gracefully handle
> even the most unpredictable behaviour.

I think the solution is to use different custom
dictionaries for different languages, as ispell does.
In fact I have thought to enter it as an enhancement
in the bugzilla, but I considered that the developers
were very busy with other more important problems.
Perhaps it is time to do it.

Cheers
        Ramón

Yahoo! GeoCities
Tenha seu lugar na Web. Construa hoje mesmo sua home page no Yahoo! GeoCities. É fácil e grátis!
http://br.geocities.yahoo.com/