Re: commit: Look for suggestions in Custom Dictionary.

Subject: Re: commit: Look for suggestions in Custom Dictionary.
From: Alan (horkana@tcd.ie)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 12:48:52 CST

Ramón Flores wrote:

> --- Alan Horkan <horkana@tcd.ie> wrote:
>
> > What happens if someone were to have a large custom
> > dictionary, would it
> > just be really slow?
>
> In that case the better option is to add a big number
> of words to one (or more) dictionary, and compile
> it using ispell, that is free software.
> In any case you can disable the auto spell check.

unitl recently i had no idea how to make dictionary hash files
trying to get an ordinary user to 'compile' anything is totally out of
the question, im a big fan of precompiled binaries myself.

> > If i had multiple languages to be spellchecked and
> > incredibly huge
> > custom.dic could i crash Abiword or cause it to
> > grind to an unpleasant
> > halt?
>
> If you have a huge custom.dic with words of different
> languages, spell checking will not be very useful.
> Think for example what would happen if you have
> the following words in your custom.dic:
>
> personatge (Catalan)
> personage (English)
> personnage (French)
> personaxe (Galician)
> personagem (Portuguese)
> personaje (Spanish)
>
> If you use different languages it is better you
> keep your custom.dic light.

It would be,
but ideally the program would put in some sort of safety check so that i
cannot break it.
Users will often do things you had not planned for or do not recommend,
and I'm always trying to test Abiword so that i can gracefully handle
even the most unpredictable behaviour.

--
   ~
  |v|