Re: using FreeType post 1.0

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 18:58:49 GMT

    > I have been looking into using the FreeType font
    > renderer

    Cool!

    > (www.freetype.org) , and I was rather suprprised how
    > simple it
    > would be to implement our drawChars and
    > measureCharWidth
    > functions with it.
    >
    > I was initially looking at this as a means to solve
    > our Unix font
    > problems, and there is no doubt in my mind that this
    > is the way to
    > go -- not only would using FreeType completely
    > resolve the font
    > mess, but we would also get rid off the
    > Unicode->8-bit-locale
    > translation that we currently have to do at every
    > text-drawing and
    > text-measuring operation.
    >
    > As I have been examining what FreeType offers, I
    > came to the
    > conclusion that we would in fact be well advised to
    > use it from our
    > XP code, getting rid off the platform specific
    > measureCharWidth
    > and drawChars functions. There are several good
    > reasons for this:

    Is FreeType available on all our current platforms and
    all platforms that might be targeted in the future -
    I'm thinking palmtops. Maybe worth a thought.

    Also I'm wondering if this decision should be taken
    seperately from deciding whether we should use Pango
    at some point. Will that be a second change or should
    we look into the effects of both before redesigning
    a new API/architecture etc?

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com