Re: Upgrading the galician translation

Subject: Re: Upgrading the galician translation
From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jan 06 2002 - 14:34:51 CST

 --- Rui Miguel Seabra <rms@multicert.com> wrote: > Hi
Ramon,

> You can best get the strings you need to translate
> (for dialogs and
> menus) by executing dumpstrings.pt es-GL >
> strings.html
>
> 1) yes, shouldn't galician locale be es_GL instead
> of gl_ES?
> because there's pt_PT and pt_BR, so likewise,
> there is es_ES and I'd
> say es_GL, es_MX, etc, right? [ little political
> humurous side note: or,
> if you'd rater, pt_GL ;) ]
> isn't the format: language_DIALECT ?

Yes it is. Actually it's language_REGION or
language_VARIANT. And Galician is a language and we
have only the Spanish version of it. If there's also
a French version that should be "gl_FR". If it is
spoken in Spanish and France but there is only one
version, it should just be "gl" I'd say.
Note that Esperanto is just "eo" since it is global
and should have no variants. Note also that our
current Latin code has _IT which could be wrong unless
it's the current variant of Latin as spoken in Italy.
But that one's too esoteric to worry about (:

Also, the first two letters are an ISO standard -
don't remember which. If the second two represent a
country, they are also another ISO standard - again I
don't remember which (:

Andrew Dunbar.

> 2) executing that command will generate an html file
> with en_US and
> current es_GL (if there's any es-GL.strings file at
> all) which will show
> you what's translated and what's not, and the
> "original" en_US version.
> You can provide a list of locale's:
> dumpstrings.pl pt-PT es-GL es-ES > strings.html
> will give you those
> three (besides en_US).
>
> This will help you, I hope.
>
> Read the file with a graphical browser until you
> understand the content,
> then I suggest using lynx to browse, since it makes
> easier to search and
> copy all the string id's you have to add.
>
> Hugs, rms
>
> --
> + No matter how much you do, you never do enough --
> unknown
> + Whatever you do will be insignificant,
> | but it is very important that you do it -- Ghandi
> + So let's do it...?

name=signature.asc

=====
http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com