embedded objects

Subject: embedded objects
From: F J Franklin (F.J.Franklin@sheffield.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 04:45:04 CST

I've been thinking about how to do embedded objects.

One way to do it, perhaps. Associated with an embedded object are:

1. The object itself
2. A rectangular region of page
3. The MIME type
4. a. The handler
   b. Optional parameters to the handler

which can be expressed in XML like:

<object width="473pt" height="312pt"
        type="application/xml-svg"
        handler="svgviewer">
 <param name="animation" value="no" />
 <param name="web" value="no" />
 <param name="images" value="no" />
 <![CDATA[base-64 encoded embedded object data]]>
</object>

If the specified handler has not been registered, and if the MIME type is
not recognized, then an empty rectangle is shown. Otherwise, the handler
should have a callback to draw itself in a specified viewport, and AbiWord
should provide it with a comprehensive drawing interface.

This last bit is the tricky bit, I guess, but once we support SVG it
shouldn't be a problem - or, rather, support for SVG is equivalent to
support for embedded objects.

Any thoughts?

Frank

Francis James Franklin
F.J.Franklin@shef.ac.uk

It's getting them wrong that is living, getting them wrong and wrong and
wrong and then, on careful reconsideration, getting them wrong again.
That's how we know we're alive: we're wrong.
                                                         --- Philip Roth