Re: embedded objects

Subject: Re: embedded objects
From: Randy Kramer (rhkramer@fast.net)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 08:19:18 CST

F J Franklin wrote:
> I've been thinking about how to do embedded objects.

<snip>

> which can be expressed in XML like:
>
> <object width="473pt" height="312pt"
> type="application/xml-svg"
> handler="svgviewer">
> <param name="animation" value="no" />
> <param name="web" value="no" />
> <param name="images" value="no" />
> <![CDATA[base-64 encoded embedded object data]]>
> </object>

Frank,

With no real knowledge about embedding objects, just a question: might
there be embedded objects for which the width and height are either
unknown (or not known to AbiWord before the object is processed by the
handler) or subject to change either due to editing of the object, or
dynamically based on some characteristic of the display, page size, or
something else in AbiWord? Is that something that should be considered?

(Aside: I agree with the intent to display an empty rectangle if AbiWord
can't handle the embedded object. If someone strongly objects to this,
I guess I'd settle for an option, something like the Show Paragraphs
option.)

Randy Kramer