Re: embedded objects

Subject: Re: embedded objects
From: F J Franklin (F.J.Franklin@sheffield.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 08:31:45 CST

Randy Kramer wrote:
> With no real knowledge about embedding objects, just a question: might
> there be embedded objects for which the width and height are either
> unknown (or not known to AbiWord before the object is processed by the
> handler) or subject to change either due to editing of the object, or
> dynamically based on some characteristic of the display, page size, or
> something else in AbiWord? Is that something that should be considered?

Or, how about "expand to maximum possible width, maintaining aspect ratio"

> (Aside: I agree with the intent to display an empty rectangle if AbiWord
> can't handle the embedded object.

The reason for doing this is so that subsequent text stays on the same
page as in the author's original view, so that, e.g., Paragraph 23 is
always on Page 4 regardless of whether the "Thingumy" handler is
available...

Regards, Frank

Francis James Franklin
F.J.Franklin@shef.ac.uk

It's getting them wrong that is living, getting them wrong and wrong and
wrong and then, on careful reconsideration, getting them wrong again.
That's how we know we're alive: we're wrong.
                                                         --- Philip Roth