Re: Changes to the English strings

Subject: Re: Changes to the English strings
From: Alan Horkan (horkana@tcd.ie)
Date: Tue Jan 08 2002 - 04:51:08 CST

Are you willing to provide the necessary patches?

This is not as easy as it seems. I dont have the original messages to
hand so i cannot easily compare and know exactly what changes you are
suggesting. If you want to change the en-GB then you might also have
to change the en-US strings.

The way the langauges are done in Abiword if a language is not present
then we fall back to the default langauge which is en-US. In the case of
the en-GB localisation (actually en-IE, ill explain later) we (I) only
provided the values where they differed from en-US and then let Abiword
simply fall back to en-US when they were the same.

The non American English translation was written by me because i was tired
of seeing the "Bogus document" error message. Im Irish, i did en-IE
first, then made a copy of that to en-GB and en-AU and en-NZ (with some
help here and there from Pierre i think).
David Chart (im not sure see the en-GB stings file) made some additional
changes to en-GB, but did not propogate these changes to any or the rest
of the non American English locales and now it is slightly out of sync.

If you are going to start messing around with the strings files you had
better have a good reason to do so as its is so convoluted.

Yes, i realy must get off my ass and finish the localisation for v1.0 ...

Sincerely
Alan

PS non-sequitor: is there a section in the documentation explaning the
Error messages?
i have an idea ... (and i may need to change the Bogus doc' error message)