Re: proprietary plugins

Subject: Re: proprietary plugins
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Tue Jan 08 2002 - 07:38:04 CST

Just to set the record straight. Any plugin that includes *ANY* of
abiword's *.h or *.cpp files in it's source code must relicense all it's
source code as GPL. Brought to you curtesy of Richard Stallman :-)

It possible to write non-GPL plugins for GPL programs. The Evolution
hackers have shown how. I personally think that high quality commercial
plugins are very good for the abiword project. I hope they, the
commercial plugin providers, end up paying to make abiword better :-)

BTW if any commercial plugin providers want to distribute abiword (as
the abiword program) they had better also talk to Eric Sink since
SourceGear holds the trademark on the name "AbiWord"

Cheers

Martin