Re: proprietary plugins

Subject: Re: proprietary plugins
From: Rui Miguel Seabra (rms@multicert.com)
Date: Tue Jan 08 2002 - 13:10:04 CST

On Tue, 2002-01-08 at 08:38, Martin Sevior wrote:
> It possible to write non-GPL plugins for GPL programs. The Evolution
> hackers have shown how. I personally think that high quality commercial
> plugins are very good for the abiword project. I hope they, the
> commercial plugin providers, end up paying to make abiword better :-)

To set things pretty straight:
    I have no problem with commercial plugins. Free Software is not the
same as non commercial, just as proprietary software is not the same as
commercial software. We can sell abiword, for instance.
    What I have problems with are proprietary plugins.

Thats two quite different things.

Proprietary plugins are not goot for abiword:
  1) they restrict and forbid freedoms we (developers _and_ users) have
the right to have
  2) they can bring instability which we will be accused for, even
though we can't do zip about it.
  3) they do not improve the "genetic pool" of abiword, instead, it is
tainted.

Hugs, rms

+ So let's do it...?