Re: proprietary plugins

Subject: Re: proprietary plugins
From: Rui Miguel Seabra (rms@multicert.com)
Date: Tue Jan 08 2002 - 13:13:21 CST

On Tue, 2002-01-08 at 08:51, F J Franklin wrote:
> > Just to set the record straight. Any plugin that includes *ANY* of
> > abiword's *.h or *.cpp files in it's source code must relicense all it's
> > source code as GPL. Brought to you curtesy of Richard Stallman :-)
>
> *.cpp, yes, but not *.h - but certainly, if the plugins use AbiWord
> functionality they need to be GPL compatible. And, of course, proprietary
> plugins may be used in-house without license worries; for example, a
> company may wish to encrypt/decrypt abiword documents and write a plugin
> for this...

.h as well.
[rms@roque xp]$ head -7 ap_LB_viEdit_colon.h
/* AbiWord
 * Copyright (C) 1998 AbiSource, Inc.
 *
 * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
 * modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
 * as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
 * of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

for instance.

> > BTW if any commercial plugin providers want to distribute abiword (as
> > the abiword program) they had better also talk to Eric Sink since
> > SourceGear holds the trademark on the name "AbiWord"
> I wonder what the implications of this are for OpenOSX's AbiWord...

OpenOSX ? Is there an url? www.openosx.org is registered but empty.

Hugs, rms

+ So let's do it...?