DocBook with AbiWord?

Subject: DocBook with AbiWord?
From: Michael D. Crawford (crawford@goingware.com)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 00:46:16 CST

OK, if I just copied the download link from Mozilla into lynx I got
0.9.6-1 just fine. Interesting how much faster Lynx downloads files
than anything else does, I thought I was limited by the speed of my
modem!

Anyway, I'd like to start using AbiWord in a serious way. I've only
fiddled with it before. But what I'd like to do with it is make DocBook
documents. I see a basic docbook file made, with the basic elements in
it, if I save an empty file as DocBook.

I would presume some of Abiword's styles correspond to some of docbook's
elements. Is it possible to use other DocBook elements that aren't
presently set up as abiword styles? Could I define a style and say how
this is to be exported when saved as docbook? Can I reimport such
styles? Can I do this short of hacking on the source, or if I need to,
is there a way I can do it so the process is more straightforward in the
future?

One thing I want to do is make the top-level element <article>, rather
than <book>, but not all the time.

I'm supposed to write the programmer's manual for ZooLib, and I've been
procrastinating about it for a long time now, in part because the author
of ZooLib wants the manual done in DocBook. I can write in docbook xml
directly now, using psgml in emacs, but it would be a lot more pleasant
to me to use something like AbiWord.

Maybe I'll find you some bugs. I've also been meaning for eons to
contribute something of substance to AbiWord.

Mike

--
Michael D. Crawford
crawford@goingware.com