Re:Win32 BIDI build (still dies on startup for me)

Subject: Re:Win32 BIDI build (still dies on startup for me)
From: Kenneth J.Davis (jeremyd@computer.org)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 04:10:57 CST

"Kenneth J.Davis" <jeremyd@computer.org> wrote on 1/9/2002 5:04:57 PM:

>In ev_Toolbar_Labels.cpp
>EV_Toolbar_Label::EV_Toolbar_Label(...)
>within #ifdef BIDI_ENABLED section there is the following chunk of code
>
>"#if 1
>// this has been crashing with en-US (but not en-GB), due to some
>// weird memory managment in the fribidi library; so I defined
>// USE_SIMPLE_MALLOC for it, which solved the problem
> fribidi_log2vis ( /* input */
..
>And in fact changing this to #ifdef 0 does allow Abiword BIDI build to
>start for me.
..

Ok, I was partially correct, if I choose another region (eg Hungarian)
then Bidi (non debug) version will still crash, but english region won't.

I would really like some suggestions on how to track down the cause
(since it doesn't seem to occur using a debugger or with debug information).
Does it do this for anyone else or is it just me? I checked (to rule out
a XP (RC2) problem and my Win 2000 machine also crashes on startup.
Additionally, updating to fribidi 0.10.0 didn't seem to help (it may or
may not be the same cause of crashing).

Thank you,
Jeremy Davis
jeremyd@computer.org