Re: Problem With Abiword Translated Strings File

Subject: Re: Problem With Abiword Translated Strings File
Sanyaade@btinternet.com
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 18:57:29 CST

> > saved it as yo-NG.strings in
> > > abi\user\wp\strings directory as outline in Abiword
> > > localisation.abw
> > All I can suggest is that you make sure your environ-
> > ment variable LANG (etc) is set to yo_NG before you
> > run Abi. Unless you are on MSWindows in which case
> > you can't set the locale yourself. Please get your
> > hands on a debug build of AbiWord, test again, and
> > look at the debug output.
>
> I never saw anything in the original mail indicating that the yo-NG
> language was actually added to the relevant places in the source code.
> Maybe this is the problem?

Thanks to everybody that reply my email. I have discovered the problems
Abiword was looking for the translated strings file in
"Debug\Abisuite\Abiword\Strings\yo-NG.strings. So I created the
sub-directories under the debug and the release build, added the Yoruba
translated strings there rebuild Abiword and everything works fine.

Just to let you know more the I am about to complete the first major part of
the Abiword Yoruba language version. This version unlike other Abiword had
some weird things in it and they are as follows:

1.) It made call to Windows API: NonClientMetrics to change lfMenuFont,
lfCaptionFont, etc...
     during start-up and restore the default windows systems font back when
the program terminates. Yes! it uses a localised font. Why? because Yoruba
language was not supported/encoded in Windows.
I am currently looking for how to added languages into Windows system using
makelang API and x200, x20 language coding but until I know how to, this how
Yoruba version and other African version of Abiword will remain.

2.) I can send you my pre-finished Abiword version which has menu items and
toolbars translated since I am now focusing on the messages, strings and
dialogs. I am also looking at wine (Linux WIN32 clone) to see how it can
help me with Abiword in Windows and Linux arena.

3.) My aim to focus on translating Abiword into various African languages
not just Yoruba but many of them. Major problems are: missing operating
system support for language encoding, missing dictionary for spellchecker
( so I have to make them from scratch, well a bit of work but possible by
scanning languages dictionary, write script that read a text file and write
each word occurrence on each row, convert the new file to hash file using
ispell or other Dict maker utility out there. Mama Mia).

4..) Please tell me how to send the file exe in zip, only added + changed
files or the whole project? Of course I will send the Yoruba font. Since
these is a must.

5.) Please give your suggestions, critics, corrections and anything else on
these issues. If it breaks anything, let me know.

Thanks in Anticipation, patience and above all God blesses!!! => To you all.

Best Regards,
Sanyaade