Re: Problem With Abiword Translated Strings File

Subject: Re: Problem With Abiword Translated Strings File
From: Alan Horkan (horkana@tcd.ie)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 16:48:10 CST

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Sanyaade@btinternet.com wrote:

> 2.) I can send you my pre-finished Abiword version which has menu items and
> toolbars translated since I am now focusing on the messages, strings and
> dialogs. I am also looking at wine (Linux WIN32 clone) to see how it can
> help me with Abiword in Windows and Linux arena.

Im not sure what you mean, there is no need to run wine, there is a native
version of Abiword for Linux (2 actually).

ive tried to run Abiword on Wine and it is unusable. See my report here:
you may have better luck with newer versions of Wine+Abiword

> 3.) My aim to focus on translating Abiword into various African languages
> not just Yoruba but many of them. Major problems are: missing operating
> system support for language encoding, missing dictionary for spellchecker
> ( so I have to make them from scratch, well a bit of work but possible by
> scanning languages dictionary, write script that read a text file and write
> each word occurrence on each row, convert the new file to hash file using
> ispell or other Dict maker utility out there. Mama Mia).

some one else (a Russian named Maxim ...) on the list was asking how to
make dictionaries
if you know how to make ispell hash files please mail me and maxim with
instructions or even just tell me what documentation to read.

> 4..) Please tell me how to send the file exe in zip, only added + changed
> files or the whole project? Of course I will send the Yoruba font. Since
> these is a must.

again im not sure exactly what you mean, if you could rephrase that
question i think i might be able to tell you what you want to know rather
than guess and give you a bad answer.

> 5.) Please give your suggestions, critics, corrections and anything else on
> these issues. If it breaks anything, let me know.
>
> Thanks in Anticipation, patience and above all God blesses!!! => To you all.
>
> Best Regards,
> Sanyaade

Its great to have abiword translated into more languages, nice work

Sincerely
Alan