Re: Spellchecker dictionary

Subject: Re: Spellchecker dictionary
From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 04:55:38 CST

 --- F J Franklin <F.J.Franklin@sheffield.ac.uk>
wrote: > On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Maxim N. Bychkov wrote:
> > I create hash file in windows-1251 (russian
> codepage for Windows) and
> > it seems that AbiWord can not work with such
> codepage because if I
> > create hash file in KOI-8 (russian codepage for
> Unix) all works Ok. Is
> > it possible to work with hash in windows-1251 in
> AbiWord in Windows?
>
> There's a little-endian Russian hash in abispell,
> which has encoding
> koi8-r, and I've added Ukrainian hash files with
> encoding koi8-u. I don't
> understand enough about encoding differences to know
> whether windows-1251
> encodings can be used.

AbiWord should be able to use any 8 bit encoding for
menus, dialogs, toolbars, and spelling dictionaries.
They all specify which encoding they are in and from
there we use iconv to transform all strings to the
correct encoding needed for display etc. If any of
this fails to work for any given encoding, it's a bug
and needs to be reported.

> Question: What would using windows-1251 for the hash
> achieve?

Nothing I'm aware of but I'm not a Cyrillic guru.

Andrew Dunbar.

=====
http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com